What is the Learning Partners program?

The Learning Partners program goal is to help the student learn to learn; thus the emphasis is on teaching learning strategies more so than content tutoring. Learning Partners is an optional fee-based program available to students with a documented learning difference, such as learning disability, autism spectrum disorder, or ADHD. Learning Partners has helped many students develop self-advocacy, build stronger learning strategies, and develop math, reading, and writing skills that are critical to college success. Learning Partners is most helpful to students who have a high level of internal motivation to succeed in college academics. 

I just want to request classroom or testing accommodations. Do I have to enroll in Learning Partners to receive accommodations? 

No. Accommodations are provided free of charge and are the right of all students who have properly documented, ADA-recognized disabilities. Learning Partners is an optional, fee-based program available to students with a documented learning difference.

Is financial aid available to cover the cost of these programs?

Yes. For students who choose to enroll in Learning Partners, program costs will be considered along with tuition when calculating a total financial aid package. Students who wish to apply for financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office at (919) 497-3401 or (800) 775-0208.

Students requiring financial aid are encouraged to complete the Learning Partners enrollment process as soon as possible so that program costs will be included in their financial aid package. Students enrolling in Learning Partners after an initial financial aid letter has been received should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact North Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation which has a local office in each county. VR is a tremendous resource of support and services and, for qualifying individuals, can provide financial support for up to $5000 of the Learning Partners cost, as well as support for other college expenses.

What can I do to maintain the same IEP/504 Plan and accommodations that I had in high school?

High schools do not automatically forward IEP/ 504 Plans to colleges. Because an IEP or 504 Plan is based on a law that does not cover colleges, these service plans, while helpful in understanding the impact of disabilities in the classroom, do not in themselves qualify students for accommodations at college. See How to Qualify for Accessibility Services for information on what is needed to document a specific disability.

What do I have to do to receive accommodations?

Students can request accommodations by scheduling a meeting with the Accessibility Services Office and completing the Request for Accommodations Form. Students can stop by the office (Taft 107 and 111), call 919-497-3236, or email kcapps@louisburg.edu to make an appointment.

Students are asked to submit appropriate documentation of a disability before their meeting with Accessibility Services. Without appropriate documentation, the process of determining reasonable accommodations may be slowed.

Additionally, please note that accommodations must be reviewed each semester. Students need to schedule an appointment with the Director at the beginning of each semester to review accommodations and update disclosure release forms so that the release applies to a student’s new set of instructors.

Can my parents set up accommodations for me?

Students are responsible for pursuing eligibility with the Accessibility Services Office. However, parents may contact the Accessibility Services Office and request that the director contact their student to explain Accessibility Services and invite them to make an appointment. 

At the college level, the law requires the student to take the responsibility for self-identifying, submitting proper documentation of a disability, requesting and discussing accommodations with faculty members, and alerting faculty and/or the director if accommodations are not satisfactory. The small setting and supportive faculty at Louisburg College make it an ideal place for students to transition into roles of greater responsibility.

I know extended testing time would help me do my best on tests, but I don’t want to be singled out. What should I do?

You may be hesitant to request accommodations because of past experiences, but at Louisburg College, Accessibility Services allows students an extra measure of privacy and control in using their accommodations.

Please consider the following: 

Each student who is enrolled at Louisburg College was accepted under the same set of admissions standards. And, in order to graduate from Louisburg College, all students must successfully complete the same number of classes (depending on your degree path).

Accessibility accommodations in college are very different from K-12 schools because there are specific laws that apply to different age groups. In college, students are seen as adults by the law, and all of their disability information is kept confidential. A student has to sign a detailed disclosure form to allow any information about his or her learning needs to be released. Additionally, any faculty members informed of accommodation needs are also required by law to keep this information confidential. A student can discuss with each professor a mutually agreeable way to handle accommodations, such as extended time, without bringing attention to the student in class.

Our professors are glad to work with students to discuss their learning differences. They respect students who are willing to go above and beyond to ensure they are doing their absolute best in college. Professors have learned that these students tend to be hard workers who take their courses seriously and are just as likely – if not more so – to excel as compared to their classmates who have not requested accommodations. 

I want to start college without receiving any accommodations to see if I can make it on my own. If I change my mind, can I request accommodations at any time during the semester?

The process for qualifying for accommodations can take some time, so students are strongly encouraged to register with Accessibility Services prior to the beginning of the semester. You still have the option throughout the semester to use or not use the accommodations you qualify for. For example, a student with a learning disability may qualify for extended testing time in all classes, but only choose to use it in one particular course.